SUPPORTING STUDENT SUCCESS!
2015 – 2016 Success Stories
Special Report to Supporters from AEF President Bill Sonneman:
Your generous support has enabled the Alameda Education Foundation (AEF) to make an impact on thousands of Alameda public school students by providing educational opportunities they would not otherwise have. It is my pleasure to highlight a few of our accomplishments over the 2015-2016 school year.
- Launched the AEF College Prep Academy program to support students who are historically underrepresented in college, including:
- ACT Test Prep courses
- College Personal Statement workshops
- Paying for College seminars
- Improved the format, efficiency and reach of our year-round, after-school middle school sports program through scheduling improvements, development of an online management system and the introduction of a new event, the mini javelin.
- Managed over 400 enrichment after-school classes and 70 summer camps in a wide array of subjects in the arts, music, athletics, science, technology, foreign languages and more for over 3,000 students.
- Provided summer internships for 40 middle and high school students.
- Sponsored a district wide robotics program for students in kindergarten – 12th grade with funds from “Power Up For Learning,” a collaboration of AEF and Alameda Municipal Power.
- Increased our reach to students in need by adding more partners to our Equipped 4 Success community school supply drive.
- Hosted a symphony for 3,400 elementary school students.
- Presented $78,000 in grants to Alameda teachers through our Adopt A Classroom program.
- Developed program sponsorships to enable business partners to support educational opportunities while receiving quality exposure to students, teachers and school families.
With your support, we will achieve the following 2016 – 2017 goals:
- Sponsor an Island-wide Literature and Visual Arts program showcasing creative writing and art by Alameda students.
- Increase the reach and breadth of our AEF College Prep Academy programs.
- Increase the number of Adopt A Classroom donations and continue to give 100% of each $500 adoption to the teacher.
- Strengthen our collaborations with Alameda nonprofits, businesses and service organizations; working together we can most effectively meet the needs of all Alameda students.
Financial stewardship. You trust us with your donations and AEF honors that trust by putting over 88% of every donation towards program services. We spend just 7.5% on management and general expenses, and 4.2% on fundraising (2014-2015).
It is because of your support that we are able to devote more resources to program services and less to fundraising. Please consider making a donation today.
Bill Sonneman, President
P.S. Please read below for some feedback on our programs. From being in the education field for over 40 years, I know that the type of impact AEF makes on children lasts a lifetime.
*A few of the students who participated in the AEF Sports program are hard for us to reach at school. The after-school program allows them to shine, and gives us a chance to relate to their success. ~ Middle School principal
*A student was not eligible to play basketball the previous year due to his grades. AEF’s program gave him the incentive to work hard to raise his grades so he could play this year. ~ Middle School coach
*The Adopt A Classroom program is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!! As a new teacher with very little “stuff,” I had spent A LOT of my own $ just to set up the classroom. I was worried – “How can I continue spending like this when school hasn’t even started yet?,” “Where am I going to get everything I/the students need?,” “I’m so poor,” etc. The $500 was a miracle. ~ New teacher
*I sincerely appreciate the support. I typically spend $2000 or more each year on my classroom and any and all support is most appreciated! Thank you. ~ Special Ed teacher
*I think this is an awesome program!!!! I love that AEF comes to the classroom to give the big check. The students all see that teachers can’t do this alone – it truly is a village that raises (and educates) the child. Overall it is a great experience for everyone involved. ~ High school counselor
Previous Years’ Accomplishments