Equipped 4 Success 2016 Recap
Equipped 4 Success 2016 photos – click here!
Karen and Marie show off their new backpacks and school supplies. They were among hundreds of Alameda public school students who received backpacks filled with quality, grade level appropriate school supplies as part of the “Equipped 4 Success” community school supply drive managed by the Alameda Education Foundation (AEF). The drive supported low-income students served by AEF’s community partners, including the Alameda Boys and Girls Club, Alameda Head Start, Alameda Point Collaborative (serving formerly homeless families), Alameda Unified School District’s (AUSD) McKinney-Vento program (for homeless families), Dream Catchers Youth Services, Girls Inc. of the Island City, and Woodstock Child Development Center.
Funds were used to purchase 40 graphing calculators, which cost upwards of $100 each, for use by low-income high school math students. Extra supplies from the drive were made available to AUSD teachers, including over 60 new teachers.
AEF would like to thank the generous supporters of the drive, including Alameda South Shore Center, whose Summer Beats concert series raised funds for the drive and who provided space for sorting and packing supplies. Thank you to Alameda Island Brewing Company and R & B Cellars for donations of beer and wine for the concert beverage sales.
Bank of Marin hosted their annual “Shred Day” on Aug. 10th that benefitted the drive with donations of cash and supplies. VF Outdoor (JanSport) and Family Giving Tree donated backpacks. Thank you to Singulex and Wind River for holding company drives. Alameda Firefighters hosted collection bins throughout the summer. Grants were received from the Alameda Welfare Council, Alameda Community Fund, Alameda Kiwanis, Alameda Rotary and Windermere Foundation. Thank you to the Alameda “peeps” Facebook group for their enthusiastic support. Generous Alameda community members, including several faith organizations, donated thousands of dollars in funds and school supplies and volunteered to prepare the backpacks for our students.
Because of this generous community support, students whose families are struggling to overcome homelessness or to simply make ends meet were able to start school with the tools they need to be equipped for success.
Help Alameda students start off the school year ‘Equipped 4 Success’ with new backpacks and school supplies! Your contribution supports homeless, formerly homeless and low-income Kindergarten – 12th grade students with the materials they need to be ready to learn on the first day of school.
- Donate $ and let us do the shopping. Your cash donation enables us to take advantage of bulk orders and price breaks to get the most bang for the buck. Tax-deductible donations may be made by clicking the donation button below or by mailing a check to AEF (please indicate E4S in the memo line), PO Box 1363, Alameda, CA 94501.
$100 = 10 backpacks
$40 = a backpack + supplies for a middle or high school student
$30 = a backpack + school supplies for an elementary student
- Shop online throughout our social enterprise partner, Roonga.com. Click here to select the items you would like to donate. You do not need to create an account to donate. www.roonga.com/e4s/
- Donate backpacks and school supplies. Donate at the South Shore Concerts (see below) or at donation bins at Alameda fire stations #1, #2 or #4. Accepted items include:
Binder paper, college ruled
Binder paper, wide ruled
Binders, 1” hard cover 3 ringClear rulers
|Highlighter pens (various colors)
Markers, broad tip
Markers, thin tip
|Pens – blue and red
Wine and Beer Sales from these concerts benefit Equipped 4 Success!
Equipped 4 Success is made possible by grants from:
- Rotary Club of Alameda
- Alameda Welfare Council
- Alameda Kiwanis Club
- Alameda Community Fund
- Windermere Foundation
Thank you to generous donations from:
Thank you to Bank of Marin for benefitting Equipped 4 Success with its annual “Shred Day”.
Thank you to the countless individuals who donated backpacks, supplies and money!!
- Alameda Unified School District’s McKinney-Vento Program (for homeless families)
- Alameda Point Collaborative (serving formerly homeless families)
- Alameda Boys & Girls Club
- DreamCatcher Youth Services (for homeless youth)
- Girls Inc. of the Island City
- Alameda Head Start (serving low-income preschoolers)
- Woodstock Child Development Center (serving low-income preschoolers)
Monetary donations enable us to purchase items at greatly discounted bulk rates, stretching your dollar maximally to help support more students. Click the “Donate” button below to make an online donation today! Monetary donations may also be mailed to Alameda Education Foundation, P.O. Box 1363, Alameda, CA 94502. Please indicate “school supply drive.” We gladly collect monetary donations all year around so that we are always ready to Equip Students 4 Success!
Equipped 4 Success is a collaboration of the following organizations: